The Ultimate Cookbook for Cultural Managers: Visas for Third Country National Artists Travelling to the Schengen Area
A hands-on guide that will help you finding your way

The Ultimate Cookbook for Cultural Managers - Visas for Third Country National Artists Traveling to the Schengen Area is the fifth publication of the RISE project. The  European Festivals Association (EFA)  and  Pearle * - Live Performance Europe  have teamed up to improve cross-border cooperation within the EFA RISE project, funded by the Creative Europe Program from the European Union from 2014 until 2017 , and renewed until 2021 as  EFA RISE 2 .

Activities of artists, cultural professionals and live performance organisations are rarely limited to their own country. Nowadays they are very mobile and readily accept to perform abroad.

Depending on your nationality when travelling to a European country a visa may be required to enter the Schengen area. This area covers a large number of countries of the European Union (but not all) and a number of other European countries. There are uniform rules that are established by the European Union when travelling or staying for a short period of time (up to 90 days in any 180 days period) in the Schengen area.

When staying for a longer period, the rules depend on the country you will visit or where you will be staying. In addition, there may be specific requirements when the visit is intended for professional or employment purposes.

So when you obtain a visa, it will permit you to travel within the Schengen area, but if you are also intending to work you may need to obtain a labour permit (or work permit) in addition to the visa, depending on the country.

Want to know more? Donwnload the publication! 

Download document
Become a member
Login members
Forgot your password?
Forgot your password?